Thursday, August 16, 2012

Challenges, taking risks, and possibilities

Here is my entry for this weeks Single Frame Stories Challenge. The theme this week is "Illumination"...



Illumination

Brown sugar flecks of melanin
speckled across my face,
lights up pale skin
like sunshine
from the
inside
out.

**********************
Three years ago when I first arrived in Second Life, did I ever think I would be posting extreme close ups of my face on the internet, with no make up and untrimmed eyebrows? Hell no! Yet here I am!

I felt totally insecure and vulnerable about posting that for the Single Frame Stories this week. When I read the theme for this round, I knew right away what I wanted to do...except I wanted a picture of my freckled face avatar.  But my graphics issues prevented me from doing that picture because my avatar skin looks too pixely and blotchy close up. I also wasn't sure if anyone would get my single frame story. In the end I decided that it means something to me and that's really all that matters. I think it turned out better this way anyways, untrimmed eyebrows and all.

I really love the Single Frame Stories Challenge and I love seeing everyone else's photos and their takes on the weekly theme. There is still time for you to take part! Check out Single Frame Stories for the details.



Another weekly challenge that I have been participating in is the Virtual Artists Alliance Photohunt Challenge, which I blogged about a couple of weeks ago. This is a lot of fun, and the photo above was my entry for last night's challenge.

I've never really taken part in such challenges in Second Life and I'm learning about how positive these kinds of group activities are for my confidence in expressing myself creatively. It's also great for drawing inspiration and encouragement from my peers. They are a challenge in the sense of coming up with new ideas, thinking up ways to express that, and sometimes taking risks in doing so. 

The old me would probably have shyed away from taking part in these challenges. Instead I would have choosen to sit back and observe, while feeling slightly envious of everyone's creative talents. 

Now, I'm realizing that in stepping out of your comfort zone to try something new, you gain an opportunity to do your very best at something. Expressing yourself creatively involves taking personal risks sometimes, but the true risk I think comes in the possibilities you lose when you fail to at least try.

8 comments:

  1. Don't think of them as Challenges, but as "Hey, you like doing this kinda thing, so why not do it?"ages.

    -ls/cm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crap :)

      I actually like thinking of them as Challenges, as opportunities to challenge myself to try new things. It's kind of like making a little commitment to myself. I'm a slacker and if I didn't think of them in that way, I would never do them, know what I mean?

      Delete
  2. Carrie, I admire your taking the risk that you did. It's a stunning pic. I can see YOU there, and not just because it's you. Your beautiful face makes me smile. Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Whiskey! That means so much to me because that was exactly my intention with the photo and poem. Thank you so much! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Glad to see that a leap into the unknown we talked about is working so well.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alex! Thank you for responding to me on that. It really helped me to know that at least one other person felt the same way. (hugs)

      Delete
  4. I think it's great you took the challenge. Then you have reief knowing you did and it's done and you can move forward with more challenges.. nice pic. Also, I've done photohunt numerous times over the past year and a half and really enjoy it. Dave does a great job finding cool and even new sims for the shoots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kara. The Photohunt is fun and it's a great way to find new places to explore. I go back to the locations after the challenge is over to look around and take more pics. :)

      Delete