Thursday, July 26, 2012

The PhotoHunt Challenge and my photo entry that almost never was...

I'm making an effort to try new things in Second Life.  I generally keep myself occupied map hopping and looking for destinations to explore, but that is mostly a solitary activity.  Once in awhile I might get a friend who comes with me but I'm not always great company because when I crank up my graphics to take high res photos, my computer slows down and chatting is hard to keep up with.  

I feel like I need to get out and be more social, so last night when I logged in, I received a group notice for the weekly PhotoHunt Challenge that was starting in ten minutes.  I  tp'd over right away.  I joined the group months ago and tried to participate once, but I had to log out and couldn't complete the challenge.  So I was happy to make it over and get in on the challenge last night.


The PhotoHunt Challenge is a game where participants are given a theme, and/or location and are given 60 minutes to take your best photo to submit for voting.  The entries are voted on by the other participants.  You are allowed to use windlight, but you dont have to, and no outside manipulations are allowed.  Your photo must be straight from Second Life.  

I was up for the challenge.  

We were given three landmarks to take one photo.  I spent most of my time flying around the destinations looking for a spot.  I spotted a skull at the top of a volcano that caught my eye.  I started zooming in and trying out different angles and then cranked up my graphics and...I crashed.  And I crashed over and over again!  Talk about bad timing for system issues.  

Finally, I was able to set my graphics to ultra and take a few shots on different angles.  This was going to be my entry:


But then while my finger was going crazy hitting 'snapshot', someone walked into my shot! I was just about to get all mad but then thought "hey, that actually makes the photo look way better!" and after a couple more crashes, I parked my av at the end of the wooden plank and got my shot:

I think I will call this one "Contemplation".  I like the toothy skull.  His dentist would have been proud!

So, in the end I got my shot submitted with one minute left in the challenge.  Hell yeah!  I like to live on the edge!

And best of all, I tied for third place.  I'm really not a competitive person at all, but the game was fun and my sense was that everyone was just there to enjoy the challenge and admire everyone's different perspectives of the locations.  

The PhotoHunt Challenge takes place on Mondays at 11:30 am SLT and Wednesdays at 6pm SLT.  If you are interested, I suggest heading over to the gallery now and joining the group so you will get the notices to remind you on those days.  You can also pick up the notecards with contest info and view the gallery of past entries and winners.  There are a lot of fabulous photos to view.  




I had a great time and I will definitely be returning for next weeks challenge.  Maybe I will see you there. :)

2 comments:

  1. That really is a great pic! I can think of more than one time a happy accident led to a cool photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ghosty! Hooray for happy accidents! :)

      Delete