Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Online friendships and real world meetings

With the onset of this new year, and my 3rd rez day just around the corner, I’ve been thinking a lot about my experience in SL so far. I can’t believe it will be three years next month. That’s crazy. In SL years, that’s like forever! Almost.


I have a huge SL friends list. Actually, I’ve taken to calling it my ‘contacts’ list, because honestly, how many of those names on my list are actually friends? Like people I talk to on a regular basis? That list is a lot smaller. In fact, I can probably count on one hand the friends from SL who I have daily interactions with.


Even smaller is the list of friends I regularly spend my time with when I’m in SL. Can you call two people a list? Probably not. Okay, maybe there is a few more than that.


Anyway, what I’m getting at is I have a small circle of friends who I feel really comfortable with and who I feel ‘know’ me and ‘get’ me. I have never met any of those friends out in the real world and to be honest, I never really thought about it too much, until recently. Maybe it’s just the natural evolution of making friends online, but it's been on my mind and I wonder what it would be like to meet those friends in the ‘real’ world.


I’m not a stranger to meeting people from online. In 2002, I met my friend M, in an international online parenting forum. We discovered that we lived close to each other and decided to meet face to face for a playdate with our babies. We hit it off right away, started our own online mothering group, and the rest is history. We are still friends to this day.


In SL, there are many, many miles between me and my loved ones. The likelihood of there ever being an opportunity for us to meet face to face is pretty low. I often wonder what it would be like to give those friends a 'real' hug, and say “hi, nice to see you”. Thinking about that possibility makes me feel like a bit of a nervous wreck.  Don’t know what that is about it, but it’s there and I can’t deny it.


While I doubt that a meeting like that will ever take place, stranger and more unexpected things have occurred in my life, so who knows what could happen. I leave that to the Universe, the powers that be, or whatever it is you want to call it. If circumstances lead to a face to face meeting and ‘real’ warm hugs and greetings…well, that would be pretty damn cool.


For now though, I count my blessings and enjoy the friendships I have made in this virtual world, and reap the benefits they bring to me in my Life.


It’s feels good to be loved.




p.s - if you're wondering what the photo is, it's a building project I have been working on.  when I feel like it's ready, I'll blog it.

No comments:

Post a Comment