Thursday, November 10, 2011

Winter depression and beautiful gloominess at Delicatessen Petrified

November has always been a hard month for me.  Three years ago I was diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder.  I tried the medication route, and it didn't work for me.  While it did keep my mood relatively even, it turned me into a zombie and my world was literally, a dull sepia tone with little colour.  I decided to explore some alternative treatments, namely nutritional supplements like omega 3 fatty acids and other nutrient dense foods, along with exercise.  It's not a magic pill that makes my blues go away, but with commitment and consistency, it makes a difference in the long run.

S.A.D can be quite a serious disorder for some, so what works for me may not be right for someone else.  We all do what we have to do and I encourage anyone who also struggles with this to find what works for you.  Go seek out help.  Now.  

It's strange because it is not even winter yet.  Technically, it is still autumn here, but this is the time when I feel the symptoms the most - sleepiness, moodiness (read bitchiness), lethargy, increased appetite.  The days are getting shorter, and it looks like it's 10 o'clock at night when I get home from work.  Ugh.  I have the UV lamp for light therapy which does help, however, it also tends to give me headaches and eye strain.

Honestly, the thought of crawling into a cave with my cubs and hibernating until spring is my equivalent of a winter vacation on a tropical island.  They don't call me SheBear for nothing ;)

Anyway, being in one of my moods last night, I was drawn to explore something in Second Life that is dark.  I found Delicatessen Petrified, which judging from these photos, you can agree it certainly fits the criteria for darkness...


My journey started out ominous, eerie and even startling in some instances...




This floating island pictured above kind of freaked me out.  Something about the absence of mouths in these figures...no voice...was very disturbing to me.


But as I explored further...



...I found that there is a hint of something beautiful, the kind of beauty that can only come out of transformative darkness...



I started to feel better. 


The landscape is sparse, and haunting, and reminded me that even in the darkest of times there is still always hope...



Beautiful gloom...two words that encapsulate my experience at Delicatessen Petrified.  

Winter has not yet started in my part of the world, but it is looming close.  I may not be able to crawl into my cave for the duration of the season, but I am reminded that the darkness never lasts forever.  It is a normal part of the ebb and flow of life, and what might look bleak and gloomy, actually has small gifts of hope to offer to those of us who aren't afraid to enter those dark shadows.  

Peace :)

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps I need to poll the Five Islanders and propose a realignment of residents to fit seasonal preferences?

    Yeah, it would be a chaotic clusterf- to plan and implement, but it's worth a shot, no?

    -ls/cm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, that's very thoughtful of you.

    I don't mind the winter in Piper Point actually. It's not so much the cold and snow that depresses me, it's the lack of daylight. Luckily, we have full control of that in the virtual world.

    In my SLife, it is bright and sunny everyday, even in the winter :)

    ReplyDelete