Friday, September 9, 2011

233 of 365: Dear Plurk, it's not you, it's me

(I'll be back later to add my 365 picture somewhere in this post)

Today I decided it was a good time to do a digital clean up - clear out my inboxes, delete old accounts, merge some of them and scale down my social media accounts. It's not like I have a ton of them or a huge social media presence.  I just feel the need to keep things as simple as possible. 

So I'm deleting my Plurk account. 

Not that that's a big shock or anything.  I haven't been over there in months.  Last night I went over to test the waters and although I like the Plurk layout, I really hate the whole karma points system.  I know, I know, it's childish and stupid and I tell myself I don't care, but there is a little voice in my head that does care about it and hates seeing my karma at a dismal 37%.  All my cool smilies are gone...and really, I'm just over it.

When I first tried Twitter many, many months ago, I did.not.get.it, and so I left my account to collect dust, gaining no followers.  My interest in Twitter got peaked again when I started seeing Twitter referrals in my blog stats, a lot of them on some occasions, so I thought I should give it another go. Now I'm kind of slow at picking up on things like this, but after putting in some effort to send some tweets and respond to others, I started to like it, gained some followers, and now I love it.  Twitter is one of those things that grows on you I think.

I've been thinking about why I prefer Twitter over Plurk...

The first thing that comes to mind is I like it because Twitter has become a main source of news and information for me.  It's not that Plurk doesn't have that also, I just find Plurk to be more random chit chat, or at least it is on my timeline.  Nothing wrong with that, just my observation.  I don't read the morning paper because I don't have time, but it's really easy to check in with my Twitter timeline on my way to work to see what news and events people are talking about.  Any items that interest me, I 'favourite' them to read later.

I just finally started figuring out the whole #hashtag thing.  It's really easy to see what topics are trending, and create a column or an alert for topics that you want to keep up with.  This is a great tool for people who are marketing a blog, event for a product.  I think the ease of that is also dependent on which Twitter app you sue, which brings me to my next point...

There are dozens of Twitter apps out there for your mobile device or computer that will suit your needs.  So far, I have tried the mobile Twitter app and TweetDeck which was good, except it kept randomly sending double tweets of mine.  I'm currently using Twittelator which so far, I like.  There are tons more apps out there to choose from, and this variety for choice is something I have not seen with Plurk.  The mobile Plurk app is okay on my iPhone, but it doesn't rock my world or anything, so meh.

As a social justice advocate, Twitter is infinitely useful in spreading the word and news of events, and information - think Egypt and the uprisings in the middle east. I have a separate Twitter account for that, but I think you can make lists to tweet so certain crowds.  I haven't tried that yet. (no i'm not involved in political uprisings, but I am passionate about social justice issues  close to home and I tweet about them).

And my final reason for preferring Twitter over Plurk is that Twitter does not have a points system that makes me feel like a total social media failure.  Over dramatic?  Yes, maybe I am, but I can't be the only one who feels that way..am I?  I don't mind games to level up on, I'm totally into the Meeroos, but the Plurk karma system does nothing for me.  But hey whatever floats your boat, if you like it, great...it sinks mine so I'm getting rid of it.

For all you dedicated Plurkers out there, I'm not at all dissing your choice of social media platform at all.  I used it for several months, met some great people, and made a few new friends.  It has it's good points too.  Just for me and my purposes, Twitter fits better into my day and so I'll stick with that.  Besides being a Plurk lurker makes me feel kind of creepy.

No hard feelings, okay? 

p.s - I am @callmeshebear on Twitter if you want to come follow me :))

No comments:

Post a Comment