Sunday, December 19, 2010

34 of 365: From Limitations to Possibilities

Expressing myself in the written word comes pretty naturally to me.  I'm not the best writer when it comes to grammar or that kind of stuff.  What I mean is that I feel competent and comfortable with sitting down to express myself and my thoughts/ideas in writing.


What I am not comfortable with is expressing myself visually.  I just never had the or learned the skills to do anything visually creative.


Until now.  


In committing myself to post a photo/image here everyday for the next year, I'm stretching myself creatively and stepping outside of my comfort zone.  I'm learning new skills about capturing images in SL and what I can do with them in post processing to express a feeling, mood or concept.  What I'm doing here with my daily photos is far from what I would consider "real art" and maybe not even that interesting to anyone else but me, but it's new and I am having fun with it.


I was feeling a little bad because already, because already I feel like I have less and less to say here.  It seems like more often, I open Microsoft Word to write and I sit there staring at a blank page struggling to talk to it.  I keep thinking this shouldn't be happening because I am right in the middle of a 12 week creative recovery program (Artist's Way).  Shouldn't I be feeling more inspired and be writing more?


Today while I was sitting on the subway, I realized that maybe I am unblocking or discovering a new way of expressing myself.  I may not have a lot to say in writing these days, but I think this new way of creative visual expression is making some kind of statement.


What that statement is, I'm not quite sure yet. 


Perhaps it's okay to not put it all into words all the time, and maybe it's possible that I can "say" something more or different visually than I ever could in any lengthy blog post.  Maybe.


I have another 331 days to find out :)



2 comments:

  1. you're pics are definately interesting and quite unique for me ... I love to look at them every day :-)
    Thanx for sharing
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you mayala. that makes me feel great :))

    ReplyDelete