Sunday, June 13, 2010

BBBC Day One: Why I Blog



I'm participating in this year's Big Bad Blogger Challenge run by Alicia Cheneaux.  This is my first post...


Early on in my SL, I discovered there was a vast community of SL bloggers.  I think I was maybe a couple of weeks old when I googled “second life help for newbies” or something like that, and it brought me up a ton of listings for SL blogs.  I was hooked on the blogs from the beginning.  I love reading about people's experiences in SL, and how it affects their real lives. 


I started my own blog in October, 2009.  My main reason for starting the blog was because I wanted to have a creative outlet in my life.  I wrote about that in my first blog post.


When I was in high school I wrote a lot.  I was this strange mix of geeky bad ass girl.  I played clarinet in the school band.  I wore army combat boots and thick black eyeliner with my catholic school uniform, and I thought I was gonna marry Robert Smith of The Cure.  I would skip afternoon classes and go to of all places...the library and write in my journal!  And when afternoon classes were finished, I snuck back into school to go to band practice.  

Now that I think about it, I was probably more than just a geeky bad ass girl...I think I was bordering on high school freak.  On a scale of 1 to 10 in high school freakishness, I was a mediocre freak scoring about a 5 or 6.  The real freaks were all in the drama club, that's just the way things were in my small northern town.


I loved writing and I would carry my journal around with me everywhere I went.  Thanks to an english teacher who saw a spark in me, I  had some short stories and poetry published in some local publications.   And it wasn't just my high school newsletter, they were literary publications with solid reputations.  I know, judging from my poor grammar, run on sentences and all my other technical errors, you'd probably never guess I was a published writer, haha. 


That was a great time in my life, when writing came so easily to me and I wasn't weighed down by the emotional baggage we inevitably pick up as we mature.  I thought that maybe I would make a living out of being a writer some day. But, shit happens and as a young adult, I made some poor choices which got me into some trouble, and due to low self-esteem and not feeling good enough, I abandoned my writing aspirations.


Eventually, I got my life back on track - I graduated from university, I travelled, I started my career, I met my husband and started my family, but creative writing fell off my priority list.  I still wrote a lot in my daily life– I wrote essays and thesis papers, and in my work, I read social policies and I write huge long ass reports on them…but none of that satisfies my creativity.  I wanted to write again just for the purpose of being creative, because it makes me feel good.


Second Life gives me creative inspiration to do that.  It’s not that I don’t feel inspired in RL, but SL also offers an opportunity where I can indulge myself a little and temporarily suspend RL responsibilities.  I think we all need a little escapism every once in a while. After spending a couple of hours in SL, I can log off and go back to RL and feel like I have fulfilled some creative desires inside me.  It’s a satisfying feeling and I am a happier person because of it.  


Another thing I have discovered since starting my blog is that I feel like I’m contributing something to the SL community.  I’m not a builder of anything in-world, I’m far too impatient for that.  There was a time that I thought that the only way I could contribute content to SL was to create stuff in-world.  But as I get more consistent with updating my blog and more readers find me, I feel like I’m making a contribution to the SL community…even if it is not content created in-world, I think SL blogs have meaningful content and have a huge impact on the SL community.  


Blogging about SL enriches my life because it gives me a place to express my creativity, it challenges me in my personal growth, and the best thing about blogging is that it has opened up opportunities to making new friends.  


I enjoy blogging about SL so much that I feel totally inspired to create a RL blog.  So now I have the inspiration, I just gotta find the time.  



3 comments:

  1. Great post! I like the look you gave us into your mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There was a time that I thought that the only way I could contribute content to SL was to create stuff in-world. But as I get more consistent with updating my blog and more readers find me, I feel like I’m making a contribution to the SL community…"

    I can so relate to that! After 3,5 years of SL the only serious thing I've contributed are words, words and more words :D

    ReplyDelete