Wednesday, June 9, 2010

more on "community" in SL

I'm off work today because I'm sick as a dog.  I have a cold that is kicking my ass and at this point, I'm feeling really run down and exhausted.  I barely made it through the day yesterday and the only reason why I went into work was because I had a presentation to do.  The presentation went really well despite my illness.  DayQuil works wonders i tell you.


This morning as I was sipping a hot toddy and looking at my blog, I was thinking how funny it is that I don't get at all nervous about doing a presentation at work to a group of 25 representatives from government funders, but every time I hit "publish" on my blogger dashboard, I'm a bundle of nerves.  Isn't that funny?


That's exactly how I felt when I posted my "how to build *community* in sl" blog.  i don't know why I get so nervous, but I do.  So you can imagine how relieved I felt when i started getting positive feedback for the post.  And I was thrilled when another SL resident, Robward Antwerp, read the post and generously offered his skills to adapt the original RL "how to build community" poster, with the suggestions for community building in SL from my post:




If you would like a copy of the poster to hang on your wall in-world, i.m me and I'll drop one in your inventory.  Or you can email me at carrielexington@gmail.com. Sometimes my i.m's cap because of all my group notices.


By the way, I feel I should give credit to the original creators of the RL poster that I adapted for SL.  The painting is an original watercolour by artist Karen Kerney, and the text was written by the Syracuse Cultural Workers.  It was created in 1998.  The poster has been hanging on my office wall for several years and it has always been a favourite of mine. It's considered a classic in my field of work (community/social work)  All I did was adapt the poster for Second Life, so they deserve credit for the original message and spirit of the poster.    


So, since I'm off work today, I'm gonna head in-world to maybe clean up my inventory...or maybe i'll just crawl in bed and wait for this cold to pass.  


Have a great day everyone and have a fantastic Second Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment