Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I'm Just Sayin'

Being a blogger and a naturally introspective person, I spend a lot of time thinking about stuff. I consider myself pretty open minded, and if I can really dig into something, I can usually come to some kind of understanding. But alas, there are still things out there that are beyond my comprehension.  


Take for example, people's online/social media interactions with others. Why people feel it is ok to spew cruel and hateful comments to or about another person is beyond me. What's even more scary is seeing how quickly crowds of other onlookers will jump on that bandwagon.


In SL, we see, and unfortunately some of us experience this kind of thing all the time. What puzzles me is why certain people feel that they can dole out such hatred to another person, without taking into account what kind of repercussions this kind of behaviour can have. Really, I do not get this and quite honestly, I think this is probably the lowest form of social interaction I have ever been witness to.  


Would you walk up to someone in RL and tell them to their face that they suck, they're a loser, their products are crap, or ban someone from your store for petty reasons, or whatever it is that is the latest drama on the Plurk timelines?


I know I’m not the only person who finds this kind of behaviour disturbing. For the most part, I’m oblivious to this type of stuff, but once in awhile it crosses my path. You know, if you want to be mean and cruel to someone just for the purpose of being mean and cruel, it’s gonna come back to bite you in the ass. That thing called karma, it’s not just points you rack up on your Plurk page so you can get access to more emoticons. There is an actual cause and effect of not only your actions, but your words too and it can potentially have devastating effects on real people.  


But what do I know? It’s not like I ever get involved in or have some personal stake in any of that stuff. But from someone observing from the sidelines, it all seems pretty damn stupid to me. I'm just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment